The past 10 days I've been busy doing demo and remodel work on our old house. It's now completely renovated and on the market. I've learned a lot in the past two weeks and I've lost close to 10lbs. We could not have made it without our really great and incredible friends who pitched in and helped us transform the house.
- People want to help you-ask them. It's been humbling to have shared both our need and our lives with our friends. They never hesitated to jump in and respond.
- Expect surprises and delays-it's part of the territory. Sheetrock is the great concealer of the construction world.
- If you purchase a tract home, produced by a quantity not quality home builder you can count on having a home with less than superior quality. You'll have to repair or upgrade systems and components.
- Do the work yourself and you'll save HUGE $. If you don't know how to perform a particular task you can always consult youtube-it's all there.
- Remodeling/updating/painting an entire 2100 sq foot home in 10 days is hard on family, friends and your body.
- I don't believe I have another one of these major overhaul's in me-done them the last two places we've lived. I'm looking for a new home that's ready to go.
- Buy expensive paint (Sherwin Williams, BEHR) it's worth the cost that it will save you in time.
- Plan for food, especially when your kitchen is part of the remodel-otherwise you'll be eating alot of Fast Food.
- Remodeling stresses your dog(s) out.
- When you find a home, do all the work first-enjoy the benefits of all that energy on the front end and make your home into a real home for everyone to enjoy.
Pray for us, our kids and our home to sell quickly.
We can't remember where we packed some of our items-and we haven't even moved to STL yet....Sheesh.